by Joel Richter
The Rochester & Eastern Rapid Railway provided high-speed electric interurban service from Rochester to Geneva, through Victor and Canandaigua.
The Comstock, Haigh & Walker Company of Detroit started construction in 1902 north of Canandaigua and regular service between Canandaigua and Victor began later that year. The line officially opened on June 15, 1904 with 14 cars providing hourly service. The R&E’s express car service, the Orange Limited, travelled from Rochester to Geneva in less than 1 hour, 30 minutes. In 1904 this was very fast indeed.Read More